Passion by Louise Derman-Sparks

" My passion is to make sure All children are taught in an environment and ways that truly nurture their ability to grow and develop to their fullest ability"

"It hasn't changed its even stronger today than it was when I first began"

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome

Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) -is the unexplained death, usuallyduring sleep of a seemingly healthy baby (Mayoclinic).

This topic is meaningful to me  because Im a parent and educator. I currently work in the infant room at my current job and in the very very near future I will be opening my on family home childcare so all the information I learn will allow me to give adequate care to the children in my care. I also want to be able to educate young mothers on the importance of making sure their children are safe.

This chart is showing the Mortality Statistics of SIDS by country

Rank  Countries  Amount 
# 1   United States:2,523 deaths 
# 2   Germany:429 deaths 
# 3   Japan:363 deaths 
# 4   Brazil:318 deaths 
# 5   Argentina:303 deaths 
# 6   Mexico:261 deaths 
# 7   South Africa:164 deaths 
# 8   Chile:144 deaths 
# 9   Canada:121 deaths 
# 10   Australia:103 deaths 
# 11   Korea, South:87 deaths 
# 12   Spain:70 deaths 
= 13   Ecuador:65 deaths 
= 13   Egypt:65 deaths 
# 15   New Zealand:62 deaths 
# 16   Paraguay:56 deaths 
# 17   Colombia:45 deaths 
# 18   Poland:43 deaths 
= 19   Austria:32 deaths 
= 19   United Kingdom:32 deaths 
# 21   Nicaragua:30 deaths 
# 22   Sweden:28 deaths 
= 23   Uruguay:26 deaths 
= 23   Venezuela:26 deaths 
= 25   Netherlands:25 deaths 
= 25   Peru:25 deaths 
# 27   Israel:24 deaths 
# 28   Hungary:22 deaths 
= 29   Kyrgyzstan:20 deaths 
= 29   Norway:20 deaths 
# 31   Denmark:19 deaths 
= 32   Dominican Republic:17 deaths 
= 32   Latvia:17 deaths 
# 34   Czech Republic:15 deaths 
# 35   Kuwait:14 deaths 
= 36   Finland:13 deaths 
= 36   Croatia:13 deaths 
# 38   Romania:11 deaths 
# 39   Lithuania:10 deaths 
# 40   Cuba:8 deaths 
# 41   Slovakia:7 deaths 
= 42   Costa Rica:6 deaths 
= 42   Belize:6 deaths 
= 44   Moldova:4 deaths 
= 44   Estonia:4 deaths 
= 44   Qatar:4 deaths 
= 44   Bahrain:4 deaths 
= 44   Puerto Rico:4 deaths 
# 49   Luxembourg:3 deaths 
= 50   Panama:2 deaths 
= 50   Malta:2 deaths 
= 50   Barbados:2 deaths 
= 53   Iceland:1 deaths 
= 53   Bahamas, The:1 deaths 
= 53   El Salvador:1 deaths 
= 53   Slovenia:1 deaths 
Total:5,721 deaths  
Weighted average:102.2 deaths  

This information was provided by World Health Organisation Statistical Information System.

This information allows me to educate others on the importance of safety and well being for infants. We have many parents that are unfamiliar with SIDS so they ask caregivers to lay their child on stomach because they sleep better. I recently had director to get pamphlets so we could post and inform our parents of SIDS.

2 comments:

  1. Ohio day care centers are required to put all babies on their backs to sleep ("Back to Sleep" campaign) unless the parents have written permission from their doctor stating otherwise. When I was an infant my mother was told to place me on my tummy so that I wouldn't choke on my spit up, when my friend had her first daughter "side sleeping" was all the rage, when my children were born I was told to put them on their back. We change the way we look at things the more educated we get and because we study and research more. I encourage you as the educator to educate the parents that you serve!
    Here are some websites about the back to sleep campaign
    http://www.nichd.nih.gov/sids/

    http://www.healthychildcare.org/sids.html

    http://pediatrics.about.com/library/blbacktosleep.htm


    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Pennsylvania, we also have a "Back to Sleep" campaign. Recently we have been instructed not to allow infants to sleep with stuffed animals, bumper pads on cribs, or blankets. The infant can get their face stuck in these soft items, and it can cause SIDS. Instead, we are directed to layer clothing on the child. I have had young children roll in their sleep, and unconciously roll sheets around their necks.

    Why is the United States so high in SIDs deaths compared to the rest of the world?

    Mary L.

    ReplyDelete